3925 Spencer Street, Torrance, CA 90503
Give us a Call: (310) 464-2799
Torrance’s best storage choice
Packing & Storage Tips
- Rent the smallest amount of space you will need, and pack the unit full.
- If possible, try to use uniformly sized boxes or plastic totes for easy stacking.
- Make up an inventory of your items and keep it in a safe place at home or in a safe deposit box away from the unit.
- Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
- Plan your storage space. Place items that you may need to access often in the front.
- CAUTION! Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (e.g., paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, paint).
- Try to leave an aisle down the center of the storage unit for easier access. Leave a small space between the walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds. It is best not to put too much in each box.
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes and seal with tape.
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels or blankets to prevent breakage.
- Larger appliances make excellent “packaging cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
- Put TV's and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables that have removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Sofas and love seats can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
- Avoid placing sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- If you stand mattresses on their side, prop them up so they stand straight. Otherwise, they tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Wipe any items made of metal (bikes, metal tables, tools, etc.) with machine oil to prevent rusting.
Storage Space Calculator
Use our Space Estimator Tool to accurately calculate what size unit you will need to store all of your items!
Storage Size Guide
Not sure how big your unit needs to be? Use this guide to see what size unit you'll need!
Copyright 2023 Spencer Street Self Storage All Rights Reserved.